Saturday, January 28, 2006


As a child I was utterly captured by The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I too wanted to find Narnia. I looked in wardrobes for it.

Yesterday I went to see the movie. It was OK. The ambience was what I think C S Lewis would have approved. The story-line embellishments, he would have tolerated. Was the magic there? I don't think I can answer that question as an adult. My children didn't appear to feel any, though they enjoyed it.

What made me blog about this wasn't a desire to start reviewing movies. No. I was thinking about Google's China decision and defending argument. The Chinese people want information. Some is better than none.

Sitting down at my computer tonight it struck me that going into the blogosphere and greater world beyond is ever so slightly like entering a magic wardrobe. The screen is initially blank and unyielding. Then it leaps into life and the light and images and sensory feedback draw me into a vast multi-dimensional space.

When C S Lewis wrote his book there was no comparative technological analogy for his wardrobe. Now there is. And aren't we lucky. In the words of Mrs Beaver, To think I would live to see this day.

For the Chinese, maybe some of Narnia would be better than none at all.

No comments: