Thursday, May 04, 2006

They call this a 'study'?

Some research is totally pointless. Take this piece of time-wasting. American company Salary.com figured out what a stay-at-home mother should be earning by comparing her activities to similar paid roles.

To reach the projected pay figures, the survey calculated the earning power of the 10 jobs respondents said most closely comprise a mother's role - housekeeper, day-care teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, van driver, chief executive and psychologist.

They found a full-time at home mum should be paid $NZ212,000. A website is even available for a mum to calculate her "worth".

This is the stupidest idea. I gather I should list all my activities (right now I am a computer operator/writer) and put an equivalent dollar value on them. In a minute I'll go and get the washing out of the washing machine and make a major decision about whether or not to put most of it in the dryer (laundry machine operator/chief executive). So I reckon I'll earn anything up to $80 for the half hour.

Trouble is nobody is going to pay me because the activities weren't worth $80. I didn't add any economic value with my activities. I wasn't writing a commissioned article or working for someone who makes a business out of taking in laundry.

So beyond providing fodder for insecure feminists constantly carping about their worth and lack of recognition, I don't see the point. Though I am forced to admit some fool probably paid for it.

2 comments:

Rick said...

It's not totally pointless though..there is some good in it.

At least it draws attention to the human actions in our economy that we value but do not count. At least, we don't cound them in dollars.

However, there are better ways to make that point and remind us of it than in this elephantine way.

Sophia said...

Oh GOD, I can't believe i'm actually agreeing with your comment Rick. What is the world coming TO!?