Friday, May 05, 2006

There should be a law against it....

Just kidding. And there is anyway, but not in Italy.

The Guardian reports, Psychiatrist to become UK's oldest mother at 63.

Does anybody have any strong feelings about this? My natural inclination is to say it's up to the individual and legislation has no place. But it doesn't stop me wondering, what the hell are these people thinking of?? My youngest was born just before I turned 39. Plenty old enough. Putting aside the arguments about financial security, what about the child's emotional future?

This one will grow up as an "only child" and the statistical probability is she will lose both of her parents by twenty. Maybe one of the doctor's adult children will be very much involved. We don't know. Perhaps I should just butt out.

Update. I hadn't seen the NZ Herald report. She didn't have the IVF treatment in Italy which has tightened its laws.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really don't see that there are any real grounds for legislation when the treatment is privately contracted.
I know some people find the idea of older parents somewhat distasteful, something that is often rationalised as perceived social problems for the child etc. That is their subjective choice. We don't ban other potentially 'unsuitable' people from having children (e.g. those who have no sustainable means of supporting the child).
I don't deny that there are social implications but this child could be brought up in a caring and loving home in stark contrast to some supposedly more suitable younger parent material that like to use their babies as punch bags.

Personally though I think they are off their trolleys.

Lucia Maria said...

In terms of natural law, it would be very improbable that a woman could conceive at age 63. I would guess that the only exceptions would be very, very healthy and long lived women who would then be around way past the child's 20s. In this case, I think artificially conceiving at age 63 is a very selfish thing to do.

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of male parents who have children at that age and it's not reported - and they're less likely to be around in the teenage years. A double standard?