Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Clarion call is emotional coercion

According to Agnes Loheni, National List MP, after another domestic murder of a female by a male,

"If you are a man stand up for the mums, the wives, the daughters, the grand-daughters in your lives and demand accountability of yourselves," she said.
"I challenge the men to organise the protest march against this death and all these deaths. I challenge our men to flood the streets of Auckland, Hamilton, and Wellington with as many people as have stood for George Floyd.
"I challenge the men to take over the organisations that work with intimate partner violence and take this burden off women who should not have to address your violence. It is your problem. 
Silence is assent tane ma."
Most of the people who read this blog are men. How do you feel about that?

I reject it. As an individualist I reject it on principle. This is yet another manifestation of a collective 'ism'  - sexism. How can racism be so wrong but sexism OK?

The vast majority of men are not violent.

So why by virtue of your gender must you own the problem? Worse, this clarion call that 'Silence is Assent' is a form of bullying, guilt-tripping and emotional coercion.

Shame on Agnes Loheni.

I understand how utterly devastating it is to imagine that child trying to defend his mother but her response is way off the mark.

7 comments:

James said...

I reject it too.

I reject it as a man who was strangled, punched and kicked on multiple occasions by my ex-wife.

I never hit her back or did anything other than flee her violence.

And every time I dare to look at organisations like White Ribbon, I read only patronising crap about how disproportionately men are the violent aggressors, it is the fault of all men, and that it is all our fault. Why would I volunteer for an organisation like that as Agnes Loheni is saying I should?

When I opened up to my former mother-in-law about her daughter’s violence, I got the reply back that I must have provoked her into being violent.

I’m sick of being told that family violence is my fault because I’m a man. Apparently it’s my fault when I’m a victim, now it’s my fault even when I’m finally free from it all.

It took months of professional counselling to get over being a ‘beaten man’. Agnes Loheni can jog on.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Thank you James.

And as a female I am not taking responsibility for your abusive partner.

James said...

And nor should you! I think the majority of NZers actually sides with you and me, we’re merely outvoiced.

Mark Wahlberg said...

Once upon a time long ago, there were people who, rightly or wrongly, considered me a violent man. But that was then and this is now. I own my past and it belongs to nobody but me.
I have answered for my wrongs and I will not accept responsibility for the questionable behaviour of others whom I do not know.

Genuine change happens when individuals decide its their time. The mob, no matter what their clarion call, are still a mob.

Styles said...

62% of homicide victims in NZ are men. Perhaps Agnes would prefer to speak up against this inequality.

Tom Hunter said...

And yet another reason not to vote National. If I want this shit then I could just vote Labour/Green.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Tom, Quite. I suspect Judith Collins might have spilt tea on herself again when she read the release.