Saturday, April 11, 2020

At least the blogs aren't in lockdown

The bloggers I read daily have sprung to life over the last two weeks. People never short on opinion have provided me with much needed entertainment and solace.

My favourite female blogger, the arch contrarian, Cactus Kate, who I would gladly adopt if she ever becomes orphaned, the epitome of everything Jacinda tells us not to be, is off the leash and utterly unrestrained.

Tribal National farmer Ele Ludemann writing from the Home Paddock is altogether more pragmatic, sensible and measured - to be taken in smaller doses. At least she's not a leftie. And she quotes Thomas Sowell frequently.

The assorted old codgers at No Minister produce some startlingly good insights but regular trolls turn the response room into a biff and bash session where quite thoughtless and stupid things are said by people who I suspect aren't usually thoughtless and stupid. That may be overly charitable on my part.

Over at Kiwiblog the comments are far more interesting than the posts (gems from David Garret especially). But new parents... they lose it for a while.

Being a libertarian slacker now made to sit up ramrod-straight by unprecedented government 'interventions' (Ele would approve of my restraint) I go to Not PC for my obligatory objectivism lesson (I don't often reach the end of them shhh).

Bob Jones needs no intro from me. He promising a big reveal on Easter Monday. How droll.

And my Pahiatua friend has presented us with a window onto Main St seen through his particular sometimes perverse lens.

At a time when the locked-up, who are losing the will to live, are being commanded to be gushingly thankful to those who still have jobs and incomes, can I say I am genuinely grateful to the bloggers who make me laugh out loud.

6 comments:

homepaddock said...

Your blog is one of my must reads and I’m honoured to be included in this list - definitely not a lefty and admiring your restraint.

I’ve discovered my inner contrarian. We’re in the privileged position of running an essential business and I’m used to being home alone - but not going out when I can is very different from not being allowed to go out and because I can’t I really, really want to. However, I understand the huge social and economic cost being paid as a result of the lockdown so am not going to do anything that could lead to it being extended.

Tom Hunter said...

Old codgers at No Minister !!!!!

Cough. Hack. Splutter......

I'll have you know that niether Psycho or myself have yet touched 60!!!

Ageist!! :) :)

Lindsay Mitchell said...

I was hoping for a bite. My husband takes quiet satisfaction in my having just qualified for 'senior' rates at the Lighthouse. He's an old codger too. So's my Dad, bless him. Old codgers are my favourite people.

Tom Hunter said...

Hmmm - yes. I somehow don't think that any of the other authors at No Minister would be willing to attend a performance of Ian Drury and The Blockheads were Ian to be brought back from the dead.

Whereas I'm absolutely certain that Psycho and I would kill for the tickets. :) :) :)

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Must be about the only thing the two of you would share in common.

Mark Wahlberg said...

"There aint half been some clever bastards."