Sunday, December 16, 2007

Don't traumatise those worms

The inventor of a worm-driven composting toilet had to prove the worms were not traumatised or stressed by their task before council bureaucrats would approve the system.

Coll Bell, who invented the "wormorator" as an alternative to septic tanks, was told by an Auckland Regional Council staff member to get an expert's report on the psychological impact on the worms after she became concerned during a site visit.

"She felt that the worms were being unfairly treated, being expected to deal with human faeces, and that it could affect them in a psychological way," says Bell. "I said, `Well, what do I do about that?' and she said `you have to have someone with the necessary qualifications to say the worms are happy'."


Ever curious I googled 'happy worms' in an attempt to discover how one could assess such a being, and their mental condition. There could be a job there for me. At this time of year I always have too much time on my hands.

I have now ascertained that worms are quite happy with donkey or dog poop but not the human equivalent. Look. Somebody has even drawn a little picture of unhappy worms.


Of course it is absolutely valid to attribute human emotions to worms in this manner. Can you definitively discount the existence of trauma in a worm? I think not. We know some worms are very happy because they glow. So it follows that others are very unhappy because they do not glow.

This Auckland Regional Council employee deserves an award for wormitarian services to wormkind. And the man who invented the 'wormorator' must be reported to the SPCW for even thinking about inflicting psychological abuse on such vulnerable and defenceless creatures.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easiest country in the world to do business in, apparently.

PM of NZ said...

... and the award is, richly deserved, directly from the cesspit of life, 'New Zealander of the Year'.

Richard said...

Personally, I draw the line at Tetrapods.

Anonymous said...

I had to check if it was April 1st again.
Brian Smaller

ZenTiger said...

Gob

Smacked.


This person is wasted in their current job. They should be campaigning for battery hens.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they have a point. Perhaps free range worms are much happier. I plan to dig some up this weekend to see.

Brian Smaller

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay .. you know, you hear so much nonsense every day emanating from local/national govt that most of it's met with yet one more shaken head or eyebrow-raise.

But when I heard this raised on Leighton Smith's prog yesterday morning, it actually stopped me in my tracks.

It's screaming to be said, so I will. Utter shit.