Tuesday, December 19, 2006

What is "Far Right"?

From Richard Long's DomPost column today;


The media frequently refer to ACT as "Far Right". I remember vividly my own mother saying to me, "You never used to be a right-winger". One can get tired of trying to explain oneself. But I will try again.

What would a "Far Right" party look like?

Here's my list;
Xenophobic, anti-immigration, authoritarian, anti-democracy, pro-drug prohibition, anti-freedom of speech, anti-individual rights, militaristic, anti-gay, anti-prostitution, pro dictatorship control of production and wealth through taxation.

Such a party would be an anathema to me.

What I am against is force, the rights of the collective overriding those of the individual, and state redistribution of wealth.

ACT is the parliamentary party that best matches my views.

Richard Long is lazy. It is easier to dismiss what it takes time to explain. Especially when it suits his purpose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your description of a Far Right party sounds like New Zealand First! The way the nmedia describes Far Right (and hence how most people get the ideas) is absurd. An anti-immigrant party is considered far right but then so is a pro immigration party. Once that supports censorship and one that opposes it. Over and over they use the term so that complete opposites are described as being the same thing while parties that are very similar in major issues are considered opposites. And notice no party is described as Far Left.