Friday, May 08, 2020

Weirdos

I know I should be sleuthing for serious stuff but it's Friday night and I really can't be bothered. This whole lock down debacle has made me realise the government is a law unto itself. If the necessary legislation doesn't exist in the here-and-now, it can be conjured up retrospectively.

But I did have a half-hearted look at the papers dumped today. Being a visual person, shortly into my perusal I was caught by the signatures:

Ashley's signature is terribly, incredibly elegant and David's is a dog's breakfast and looks like ... well I won't say what immediately springs to mind.

But it recalls my thoughts today (and every day) listening to the press conference addresses with the requisite Maori greetings. "How many times do they rehearse the phrases to get the pronunciation right?"

Similarly, now I wonder, how many times have they practiced their signatures - or variations of - to get those just right? I mean, look at them.

Weirdos.

(Disclaimer: The only time I ever practiced a signature was when trying to forge my mother's on absentee explanations at college.)

5 comments:

oneblokesview said...

Haha.
I dont think they have practiced the signatures.
I look back at my signature before I had to sign 15-30 times a day.
These guys must sign 100 items a day.

So its the default shorthand. ie Ashleys years as a Civil Servant.
Verses the I havent really signed much in my life David Clarks.

gravedodger said...

You did that as well Lindsay, I relied on my Dad's it was a lot easier to repeat.
Have a nice weekend perhaps add a dog to your racing interests they are back on the track, LoL

pdm said...

I had to practice my signature when I joined the BNZ on leaving school in 1964. One of my best mates had started a year before me plus two other friend slightly older school acquaintances on the staff of 12 I think it was. Amazing the number of efforts they rejected.

Funnily enough the base of that signature remains adapted only moderately over almost 60 years and those first efforts were with a fountain pen as I recall.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

gravedodger, The hounds only entertain me over the distance races. Then they have to use their brains. One or two actually figure out how to pace themselves for a final burst. It's quite amazing to watch. Swift Fantasy was a recent example. If you have a minute, watch it.

https://youtu.be/N00T72OqEcA

Lindsay Mitchell said...

I should add she did this time and time again.