Tuesday, May 05, 2009

"Is that your Daddy?"

Some interesting divorce data has just been released from Statistics NZ;

Analysis of divorce statistics by year of marriage shows that about one-third of New Zealanders who married in 1983 had divorced before their silver wedding anniversary (25 years).

Gee, I thought it might have been higher than that. Maybe a good number just stay separated.

I may have recounted this before but it springs to mind right now.

My young daughter had a friend over. She was a talkative, curious child. On espying a wedding photograph of David and I she turned to my daughter and asked, "Is that your Daddy?", which Sam confirmed. It was the next question that floored me. "Where does he live?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I sat in on our youngest child's new entrants class twenty-odd years ago. Sharing morning news, several children referred to visiting Daddy, for the weekend, in other parts of the country.

Interviewing young-ish (23 to 40 year olds) potential staff for farm positions over the last 25 twenty years, rarely were the couples not in a "mix and match" relationship.

andy

wino said...

How odd - that's me in those statistics, married in 1983 and divorced (and remarried)well before 25 years. He became an alcoholic and beat the living daylights out of me twice so I did have a good reason (though to this day he feels I did him wrong). Had a conversation with someone local a month or so ago - "my son is getting married" he said which left me wondering if the son was also related to his wife having never enquired as to their marital history...

Mark.V. said...

It is a sad state when children naturally expect that fathers live elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

One possible explanation is that something I noticed through school, especially primary school (15 years ago ish), is within different groups of friends, there would be some groups with predominantly divorced parents, and others who's parents were predominantly still together.

Not that the parents marital situation defined who was in which group how ever, just something that was incidental too them.

Was the friend possibly slightly outside of the normal group of friends?