Friday, December 12, 2008

Women's troubles

It is never long between reports that women aren't getting a fair shake of the stick - in the workplace or in society.

Yet our biggest government department employs a staff that is 73 percent female. Yes, the Ministry of Social Development. They like to skite that their workforce is representative. It's true that the majority of beneficiaries are women.

The Families Commission does even better in employing a staff that is 83 percent female. Then they start acting like role models by being very family friendly with flexible hours, school holiday programmes at work, going home early on Families Day, etc. I guess the idea is walking the talk so they can justify lobbying for ever more workplace legislation along these lines. Think compulsory breastfeeding-stations.

But the people who work in these organisations don't live in the real world. They don't have shareholders to answer to and profits that must be made if they want jobs. They have budgets but they go over them routinely. If they don't go over them they won't appear to be working hard. The taxpayer's pocket is very deep.

Many of these women employees - and their 'clients' - would once have been supported by men and worked in unpaid caring roles. But the more paid caring roles that are created - DPB carers beget social workers for example - the more they have to be managed and studied and monitored. The whole kit and caboodle exists to expand.

Now New Zealand is being told off by UNICEF because it has too many children living in poverty, not enough Paid Parental Leave and not enough good quality childcare. Don't tell me. Another taxpayer cash injection is called for. Yet;

1/ Most of the children living in 'poverty' in NZ have mothers on the DPB.

2/ The DPB is permanent paid parental leave.

Paying people to produce and stay home with children has hardly been hugely successful to date.

If the government would keep its nose out of redistributing income to further what it sees as socially desirable ends, people would get back to relying on each other for committed support. In which case the DPB, PPL and subsidised childcare, as institutions, would all be redundant.

Need I say it? More government, and the many appendages of government, is not the answer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like work which expands to fill the space available for its completion, bureaucracy expands to fill the space essential for its own survival.

Dirk

Unknown said...

Lindsay,

Great post as usual.

Gender bias with MSD-/-WINZ is demonstrated in another way by my personal situation - Because of health difficulties I have lived on an Invalids Benefit since mid 2000

I am most greatful for that single persons benefit BUT I infact brought up my Son now 13 with NO help from WINZ in a Family Court Ordered week about **Equal Parenting** arrangement.

ALL funds to bring up our Son went to Mother who basked in the Sun week about on full DPB while I/we did our best from foodBanks.

Obviously I had to give up eventually simply because I ran out of resourses and $influence, strangely enough.

Onward - Jim

Anonymous said...

Jim,

i understand your situation only to well.
Back in 89 I came home from work to discover my wife had taken out non molestation order against me. I was given 15 minutes to collect my essentials and leave the property.

Later I was informed by the nazi's at the social wefare department that i was going to be ordered by the courts to pay 60% of my income in wife/child support. I was told by the same nazi's that any attempt on my part to fight this decision would be pointless because they would supply unlimited free legal advice to my wife to resist me.

I found the entire experience very educational and on occasion rather entertaining.

in the end The attempt by the system to turn my children against me failed miserably and turned out to be the exact opposite.
Life has not been boring.

Dirk.