Friday, June 15, 2007

Maori stereotype of Pakeha

I've just finished reading Nga Iwi o te Motu, 1000 years of Maori History, by Michael King. We hear plenty about the Pakeha stereotype of Maori. This is the first I've read about the Maori stereotype of Pakeha.

Yesterday I attended a funeral. I hate funerals. I struggle with emotion, can't keep down the tears while marvelling at (and resenting I guess) those all around me who keep their composure and even deliver calm and occasionally comical eulogies. I took Robert with me as the lady who had passed away (prematurely) had been very kind to him as a baby and toddler. I think he was her surrogate grandchild while she waited for some of her own. Anyway, unsuccessfully trying to momentarily distract myself from thinking about Mary, I was describing to him how Maori grieve and the tangi process and, drawing on the following passage, how Maori might see Pakeha funerals by contrast;

There is no comparable body of literature to mirror Maori views of Pakeha over the same period. But what has been published by way of reminiscence by writers such as Amiria Stirling and Reweti Kohere suggests that there was a Maori stereotype of the Pakeha as someone who was self-centred, materialist, acquisitive, unfeeling about their extended family and callous about their treatment of the dead.

Regarding the last, if it is true I think it's simply misinterpretation on the part of Maori. But it's a reminder that we should all be wary of misinterpretation of attitudes, behaviours and practices we don't understand. Within and without our own culture.

No comments: