Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Then and now

It is a shock to me that 1981 is 30 years ago. Yesterday, looking for a incident I want to research, I looked through all of the Evening Post for January 1981. Fascinating but tiresome when on microfilm. Scanning through all the sport and classified and supplementary advertising is hard on the eyes and neck.

What were the issues of the day?

Violent crime was at unacceptable levels and birching was the proposed solution. Birching. Yes. A serious debate was being had by the public and in parliament and penal reforms groups were enacting such a practice publicly by way of protest.

Child abuse was on the rise.

Red tape was crippling business.

Road deaths were out of control and young drivers were the worst culprits.

Unemployment among young Maori was estimated at around 50 percent. But benefits to 16 and 17 year-olds shouldn't be scrapped because the education system couldn't cope with them staying on at school.

And women should stay out of the workforce, stay at home and be mothers, as a solution to generally rising unemployment.

I was 21. That was NZ then and not much progress has been made on many of these issues. The red tape is different, violence is worse but perhaps more localised, child abuse is arguably worse, unemployment is higher than it was then. The best improvement would be in the reduction in road deaths - although you wouldn't know it listening to the media.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1981 I was living in the small rural community of Makuri in the North Wairarapa. I was a refugee from the big smoke of Wellington gone bush attempting to live the dream of being an artist. i was 31 years old with a wife and 2 children under 5.
I rented a 100 year old farm house off a local and paid 5 bucks a week rent. When i first arrived they were concerned it might be to much. Great people who helped me achieve my dreams by just being good people.
My children enjoyed a very simple life. No television,our information and music came via a 1930's radio. In fact we had no car and had to walk everywhere. My children have both gone on to succesful careers in their chosen fields.
Where as i now have so many vehicles my friends claim i am responsible for this countries reliance on foreign oil.
The wives they come and go.
Just a rave about the good old days.
With respect I Love reading yours.

Dirkest