Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Oh, the sacrifices....

Last week a letter appeared in the DomPost about John Key. If my memory serves me right it was the feature letter along with a photo of Key. Today his response appears, drawing further attention to the original complaint.

Guilty as charged

Ken Wilson asserts (Letters April 13) that by claiming a parliamentary accommodation allowance when I can afford not to do so, I am guilty of rorting the taxpayer.

Such logic can be applied to any of the genuine costs that I incur as an MP, including travel and related expenses.

Rather than my rorting the system, maybe Mr Wilson would like to tally up the immense contribution in terms of family time, the alternative income I could earn were I not in Parliament, and the considerable financial donations I make each year, and then reflect on whether I am rorting the system.

If that makes me guilty of a rort, I stand guilty as charged.

John Key, National MP, Helensville.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Key doesn't actually address the issue, does he? His argument appears to be more along the line of "it's hardly stealing when I could be making more money spending my time elsewhere". So. As long as I steal less in value than what I could have obtained by working, I can use the same defence? "You think this is stealing? Why would I steal if all I had to do was 'x' and then I'd have more money!".

Pathetic.

Berend de Boer said...

If following the rules and taking advantage of it is stealing, we all steal.

Taking advantage of tax codes is ok, because these tax breaks are there to take advantage of.

It's another discussion if these tax breaks are stupid, but that you take them is quite ok.

So Mr. Anonymous, you don't ask GST back because your company, if you had one, doesn't need that money?

Anonymous said...

Berend, your argument is sound, and I agree. If Key had said "I'm entitled to it, 'the end'". Then that's cool with me. But to justify it in terms of the hardships he suffers as an MP is pathetic.

Anonymous said...

Most people use government services when they can afford to go private - maybe on different degrees, but it's still the same principle. How many people use the public health system when they can afford private? How many attend public schools, yet can afford to attend a private school.

Michael said...

I tried to write a defence for Key but it ended up far too long for a comment - is now a post at:

http://www.ellisnz.com/2006/04/john-keys-accomodation-allowance.html