Saturday, October 30, 2010

Today's offering

Regularly we are offered skinks, ghekkos, rats, mice, cicadas, birds. Frequently we sustain injuries in our attempts to save the lives of all creatures great and small. Even a kerereru, who is probably now part of a luxurious cloak after we lost that particular battle so delivered it amazingly intact to the local marae.

But this morning's delivery was a new one on me. Initially, from a distance, it appeared as a half eaten lizard with rigor mortis set in. Possibly unearthed overnight from some forgotten hiding place. Then I thought we had a miniature pre-historic beast on our hands. Come and look at this, I called out to the knowledgeable one.

Its a koura, he said, spelt k-o-u-r-a as in Kaikoura. A baby freshwater crayfish.

We abide at the foot of bush clad hills. A creek runs through the corner of our neighbour's property. Tom had been fishing. Here he is, saying to me, You should have seen the size of the one that got away Mum.


5 comments:

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

A long time ago, when I was a little boy, we had a cat which would regularly bring home quite large eels, carefully beheaded.

Anonymous said...

Skinks, geckos, birds and more. For crying out loud get rid of your cat and give the wildlife a fair go.

Anonymous said...

koura are delicious, scoop them out of the creek, slap them straight on a hot plate or bbq, throw a cup of water on it and stick a pot lid over it for about 2-3 minutes. Ready to eat.

James said...

Yah the cat!....bugger the wildlife.

;-)

Anonymous said...

My cat has never been much of a hunter. However, one day she yowled and yowled and when I went out to see what was going on, she proudly presented me with her catch. Extremely proud, she was. So I gave her lots of praise for her hunting prowess. Her great catch? A meat pie.
I just hope the kindly folks at the bowling club next door gave it to her and she didn't help herself!
Hollyfield