Saturday, December 02, 2006

Kiddy crisis in the 'Naki

Cinema: Parents parking kids, not cars

Children as young as eight are being dumped at the cinema by their parents


One of the lead stories in the Taranaki Daily News.

There are a couple of things I noticed. The use of the word 'dump' instead of 'drop off' inferring any parent who drops off their child is bad. I wouldn't let my eight year-old go to the cinema without an adult but I have dropped off my twelve year-old to meet friends. The reminder that the movie could be sold out is useful.

Good on the movie company for looking after the children that do get stranded.

But here's the line that really disgusts me; The New Plymouth District Council says it cannot review parking charges until next June because of the costs of retriggering the Local Government Act's need for consultation.

Isn't it pathetic? The stifling burden of rules and regulations. In fact, I'm sure if they look hard enough the council or OSH could find some reason why the cinema company shouldn't be taking care of kids in a separate area when they can't get into the movie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ironically, the car-parks on the street behind this cinema are damned-dangerous - angle parking down the middle, and parallel parking down the side, leaving a small, single-car width to drive down the middle. There have been quite a few children injured in the last year by cars backing-out from here. \It probably safer for parents to drop their kids off on the other side of the cinema than park out back and let them walk through to the cinema.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, I was recently in the kids emergency dep for a certain large south auckland hospital.

While I was there, a child was left there by her parents. It would appear this is not an uncommon pratice.

Anonymous said...

My sister used to work at the AC baths at Taupo- it was quite common for kids to get dropped off at opening time and be left all day- no money of food, of course.

BTW, at 10yrs, I used to get the train from Taita to Naenae to go to the pictures on Saturday- with my younger sisters.