Wednesday, October 14, 2015

On ACT and other matters

There was little chance of my voting elsewhere but David Seymour has guaranteed my tick for ACT in 2017 by lodging a new voluntary euthanasia bill. It's a huge task (if drawn) to front foot such a controversial issue as a single MP. What will stand him in good stead is the weight of opinion is now firmly on his side.

"Not working on it full-time" but you wouldn't need to be at $2000 a day. I'd have thought Rebstock negotiated a rate that is "twice the usual"? Is she worth it? I can't answer positively when another CYF  overhaul isn't the answer.

Should it be a crime to have your baby sleeping with you? It's not necessarily best practice if you are overweight and inebriated, but my second child constantly slept by my side. It was the only way any of us was going to get some rest. I fear charging a mother with "criminal nuisance" after a SUD death, with a possible jail term of one year, is a step too far. When will police begin checking bedrooms?

2 comments:

david said...

I challenge readers to tell me that they have never let their child sleep next to them in bed. It comforts the child and seems the natural thing to do. Even if it does increase the risk, what is the probability? And what is the purpose of the punishment? Most parents would be devastated by the death of their baby. For the mother of the dead child that is punishment enough. And for the mother of an inconsolable baby, if she discounts the probability that the child would die, I doubt if she would be further influenced by the threat of prosecution.

Anonymous said...

I challenge readers to tell me that they have never driven drunk with the seatbelt off. It 's easier to get home after a night on the turps and seems the natural thing to do. Even if it does increase the risk, what is the probability? And what is the purpose of the punishment? Most drivers would be devastated by their serious injuries. For the wife of the dead driver that is punishment enough. And for the wife of an man after a hard day at the office, if she discounts the probability that the driver would die, I doubt if she would be further influenced by the threat of prosecution.