Monday, April 11, 2011

Attitude

This headline from Radio NZ irks somewhat;

'Super-rich' yet to contribute to quake appeal

If I were 'super-rich', and in a position to make a substantial donation, I would be waiting for representations to be made to me about exactly how the money would be used. And reading on, it would appear that is the reason that donations haven't yet been forthcoming. But the headline plays to the knee jerk resent-the-rich sentiments of too many Kiwis.

Other people just get on with it. Like Catherine Bailey who organised a art auction fund-raiser at the local pub and called on Eastbourne artists and businesses to donate works and raffle prizes. When returning an easel and sample art to me Sunday (I offered a pastel portrait voucher which apparently went for $200) she said they had raised around $7,000. Good for her. That's what the country needs. More doers.

2 comments:

baxter said...

Like it or not Owen GLEN was first off the mark.

Paul Goodsort said...

I have some Allied Farmers shares they are welcome to.