As Child Support is topical here are some facts and figures produced through an OIA request last year;
* In 2008 IRD collected $363 million in child support
* Of that sum $136 million went into the consolidated fund to offset the $1,530 million DPB bill
* At March 31, 2009 there were 130,762 liable parents
* Of these parents 59,536 (46 percent) paid the minimum amount of $66.60 per month
* A typical monthly payment to a sole parent with two dependent children living in Auckland receiving the DPB, accommodation supplement and other allowances could be $2,513
* Under that example, a liable parent paying the minimum for two children would be contributing 5.3 percent of the custodial parent's benefit payment
* At 31 March 2009 there were 201,900 children subject to child support. That has risen to 210,000 in 2010 - approximately one in five under 18s.
* 45 percent of liable parents had incomes of under $20,000; 3 percent had incomes in excess of $100,000
* 27 percent of liable parents and 54 percent of custodial parents received benefit income during the month of April 2009
* 18 percent of liable parents are female (some parents share custody of children and both incur liabilities)
* At March 31, 2009 7,135 or 1 in 20 liable parents lived overseas
* In NZ child support is payable up to 19 (unless he or she becomes 'financially independent'); in the UK child support is payable up to 16 (unless the child remains in non-advanced education)
The Godfather – Deleted Scene – Clemenza or Paulie?
40 minutes ago