The number of working-age beneficiaries has risen by 21 percent over the last year.
Here's a breakdown by September 2009 total and annual rise;
DPB 107,658 up 9%
Invalid's Benefit 87,615 up 2%
Sickness Benefit 56,384 up 17%
Unemployment Benefit 60,660 up 161%
All 326,811 up 21%
- Take out the unemployment benefit and the rise in all other benefits is still 8 percent.
- The rise in other benefits is more of a concern than the rise in unemployment because people stay on those benefits much longer.
- The 9 percent rise in DPB represents around 15,000 more children on welfare.
- The combined total of Sickness and invalid benefits represents a new high at 144,000.
- If National had delivered on the election promises I identified yesterday some of the rises may have been contained.