Monday, August 11, 2008

More timidity from National

I will refrain from a lengthy comment on this seeming piece of timidity from National until I have read Key's imminent speech. There is one thing in particular I am looking for.

But I will point out the error made by the journalist in respect to DPB recipients;

Just under 20 per cent had been in paid work in the previous 12 months and one in three had a child under six. About 36 per cent of all DPB recipients had been on the benefit for between one and four years. Eleven per cent had been receiving it for 10 years or more.

The percentage of recipients caring for a child aged 6 or under is 60.8%. I make that closer to two in three.

Also she writes that 36 percent had been on the benefit for between one and four years. I would add "this time". Many cycle on and off benefit and those statistics refer only to the current spell. The number receiving the DPB for ten years or more would be much higher than 11 percent if cumulative time is measured.

No comments: