Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Serving up red herrings and victimhood for breakfast

Not unusually I can hear my husband loudly remarking "Silly b----h," at the TV.

I know in a minute he will put his head around the door and tell me about the latest display of mammoth intelligence from some hand-wringer.

"What's that about?" I enquire not lifting my eyes from the keyboard.

"Oh the silly b----h says that it's the fault of the liquor industry that so many more women are drinking and driving. Apparently it's because they have been targeting young women with alcopop thingies. Marketing is to blame. "

"Well you know," I respond,"That these women advocates will never have a bad word said against females. It couldn't possibly be their fault that they are drinking and driving. It's got to be consumerism or capitalism or any damn thing but the individual."

The truth is people drink and drive because of a widespread culture of irresponsibility. Period.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your husband sounds exactly like me!

I can't watch the news or what passes for current affairs. Just can't do it for my own sanity's sake.

Much less stressful for me to switch over to 'Who want to be a millionaire' (Brit version. Love Chris Tarrant; loathe Aussie *Ed) and that cerebral of shows, 'The crowd goes wild'. :)

*Curiously, of some 20 million Australians, they picked the one who can say neither 'Australian' nor 'millionaire'!!!

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Have you got the interactive version on DVD??? Then again, if you can't abide Eddie probably best steer clear.

Breakfast TV seems to make an art form of finding the wettest of wet.