Monday, October 08, 2007

A few words before moving on

Worse than losing the World Cup is reading and listening to all the drivel about it.

For instance, if you are utterly wrapped up in sport it's pretty dumb to go using rock lyrics to make a point;

This was the year, the optimists decreed, that New Zealand would win four major titles - the cricket World Cup, America's Cup, Rugby World Cup and netball world championship.

Well the first three went west, with only the yachties making the final.

The pressure is now on the Silver Ferns' shoulders.

To paraphrase the hamburger-hoovering Meatloaf: "one out o' four, ain't bad".


And psychologists?? Like where is the psychologist who will save me from psychologists;

Psychologist Marc Wilson said shattered fans could ease their anguish by sticking to the World Cup till the bitter end. (I thought we'd already reached that?)

"If I was giving a prescription I would say, convince yourself we would have won if it wasn't for the referee cheating, and at least a southern hemisphere team is going to win," the Victoria University school deputy head said.

An academic. No wonder. Irrational advice.

We should want the French to win as they are the team that beat us. At least then we will be second best...

But this is not a time for rationality it would seem.

In, thanks for reminding us, Mental Health Week this twit from Victoria is telling people to do what is the very thing that gets us deep in the shite every time - blame someone or something else. Disgusting

And on a serious note. If you thought you had a bad day yesterday spare a thought for Trevor Mallard whose father passed away. I never say anything good about Trevor but that's politics. It saddens me deeply when I read about the loss of a parent. My sincere sympathies to Trevor and his family.

The rest of you. Get over it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought your comment on NotPC about the haka and the French Anthem was brilliant. Very droll.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay said "The rest of you. Get over it."

Infinitely easier said than done, of course. I know it's only a game, but I cannot get past the loss yet.

It had to be the bloody French.