Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Would you sign up?

There are calls for telemarketers to be banned from calling homes who have signed up on a no-call list. Apparently when legislation was introduced in Australia 500,000 people signed up almost immediately. But the ban on calling list signatories does not apply to political parties or charities much to the chagrin of telemarketing companies.

Most of the calls I receive are from charities who I nearly always reward (at the cost of those who send me letters). I have never been politically polled. (Perhaps I should ask DPF to remedy that just so I can have the satisfaction of saying "ACT".) And I volunteer my husband for market research as he's a great believer in it.

As much as I fume when the phone rings right on cue, dishing-up-the-tea-time, I wouldn't join the no-call list. Would you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would, and I have. Unfortunately, its a marketting collective list, not a charity / opinion poll list.

I give to a number of charities, and don't often turn them down - I do, however, ask whether its an annual appeal or a more frequent one (a common theme appears to be simply ringing for the "annual appeal" more frequently....

That said, its the direct marketting calls that annoy me. No I don't want to be sold a vacuum cleaner or a holiday over the phone, and I resent the patronising virtual push-polling "What? You're not planning a holiday this year?"

peteremcc said...

I don't have a landline.
Infact, I don't think I know anyone under 25 (not living with parents) that does.